Re: Beginner questions...

Subject: Re: Beginner questions...
From: José Carlos Ramalho <jcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:22:24 +0100

Glauber Ribeiro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've started to learn SGML and DSSSL by creating documents by hand, with
> a text editor. I'm using DocBook 3.1 with the Walsh style sheets and
> Jade. Since i'm a beginner, i'm not sure what domain these questions
> belong in (DSSSL, SGML or DocBook or both), but any reply would really
> help me.
>
> (1) Suppose i have a document with 5 tables which are defined
> identically. How can i define a table once and then reuse its definition
> without doing "cut and paste"?

If their structure is the same you are already sharing their DTD and
that is all the reuse you can get. If besides structure they have the
same content you can modularize your document and store the table in one
entity file that is loaded whereever you need it.

> (2) Through experimentation, i found out that i can use &quot; (as in
> HTML) to insert a quote. Where can i find a list of the standard
> entities supported by SGML (or is it by DocBook)?

I think Docbook brings the entity files in distribution package. If not
any SGML/XML editor has them or in the normal places:
	http://xml.com
	http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/

> This is pretty much it, for now. Any help or pointers greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> glauber
> --
> Glauber Ribeiro --- Integrated Warehousing Solutions  (IWS)
> mailto:glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.iws-irms.com
> PGP keys available from certserver.pgp.com, pgpkeys.mit.edu

Bye
jcr

PS: I am also using Docbook and Norman stylesheets...
begin:vcard
n:Ramalho;José Carlos Ramalho
tel;fax:+351 53 604471
tel;work:+351 53 604470
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Dep. Informática - Universidade do Minho
version:2.1
email;internet:jcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
note:=-- windsurfer  diver orienteer engineer --=
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1568
fn:José Carlos Ramalho
end:vcard