dockbook style sheets // glosslist modification // tex backend

Subject: dockbook style sheets // glosslist modification // tex backend
From: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 May 1999 17:06:32 +0200
Hello folks,

I am fighting the docbook style sheets and didn't understand why I
can't get the glosslist modified.  After collecting all the background
below I found that the rtf backend produces something more eligible.

I guess it boils down to "paragraphs are completly broken within
tables with the tex backend".  But that means the whole table stuff is
broken.

Does nobody know a bit of a workaround?

Thanks

/Jerry

The problem I have is that the glosslist wastes too much space at the
paper.  We need a more compact version. like that

<b>term</b>
  decription is a bit indented

<b>2nd term</b>
  etc

what I tried was to overwrite (glossentry glossterm) and glossdef from
dbgloss.dsl.  This appearently has not the desired effect.  for some
reason I can't see it still produces much too much space.

To debug the issue I've put some silly literals between the lines
("wie jetzt?", "Nanu" and "Schluss").  with the following I would
expect to see no space at all around the glossterm, "wie jetzt?" 0pt
below that term and "Schluss" 0pt below the last line as well as 0pt
above the next term.

(element glossentry (process-children))

(element (glossentry glossterm)
  (make paragraph
        space-before: 0pt
        space-after: 0pt
        font-weight: 'bold
        (literal "Nanu")
        (process-children)))
(element glossdef
  (make paragraph
        space-before: 0pt
        space-after: 0pt
        start-indent: (+ (inherited-start-indent) (* (ILSTEP) 2))
        quadding: %default-quadding%
        (literal "wie jetzt?")
        (process-children-trim) (literal "Schluss")))

Jades fot output does not really indicate something different, but I'm
not sure - I don't know how inherited values are represented there.

<display-group space-before="6pt" space-after="6pt" start-indent="48pt">
<paragraph font-weight="bold">
<a name="46"/>
<a name="47"/>
<a name="48"/>
<text>Nanu</text>
<text>S</text>
</paragraph>
<paragraph start-indent="68pt" quadding="justify">
<a name="49"/>
<text>wie jetzt?</text>
<paragraph space-before="5pt" space-after="5pt" first-line-start-indent="0pt" quadding="justify" hyphenate="false">
<a name="50"/>
<text>Emergency (Notfall)</text>
</paragraph>
<text>Schluss</text>
</paragraph>
<paragraph font-weight="bold">
<a name="51"/>
<a name="52"/>
<text>Nanu</text>
<text>A</text>

In practice I see approximatly 20p (2 empty lines) between "NanuS" and
"wie jetzt?" and another space of same amount before the next "NanuA".