Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail
From: Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:31:41 +0100
On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:17:59PM +0200, Cees de Groot wrote:
> dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >The aforementioned Chuck Robey is working on an XML based system to do
> >DocBook -> *roff using (I assume) sx to get DocBook SGML to DocBook XML,
> >and then an XSLT translator to go from there to *roff.
> >
> Methinks that this is a far more sensible way to get from DocBook to *roff
> than hacking a Jade C++ backend (and, when I asked James about his opinions on
> this, he suggested the XML way as well).
>
> Could you ask aforeaforementioned Mr. Robey whether he would be interested in
> checking integration with SGMLtools?

I've e-mailed him, and asked him whether or not he wants to subscribe here;
I'm not sure of his workload, so possibly not.  If he doesn't, I'll forward
the specific messages on to him, so he can answer them himself.

If this works, I'd then be looking at using a similar approach to get the
HTML, PS, PDF, and RTF output methods done as well.  Partly for consistency
and partly in the knowledge that DocBook 5.0 is going to be completely
XML (I'm pretty certain that was in a message from Norm on another list,
and now I hunt for it, I can't find it -- if I'm wrong, please correct me).

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>