RE: The DSSSList Digest V3 #82

Subject: RE: The DSSSList Digest V3 #82
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:14:25 -0700

and Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> replies:

>This is incorrect.  Since government funding was used in the
>production of the DSSSL spec, it is therefore under public domain.

>AFAIK, distribution of the DSSSL spec is perfectly legal.  Even
>modification, although any modified spec should ethically carry heavy
>disclaimers and notices so no one confuses it for the official spec.

%%%%%%%%%%%

The site I pulled the DSSSL standard from said:

	Copyright
	Notice: Some material in the SC34 (including this one) collection
	are under copyright by ISO, which expects them to be used only
	for the purposes of standards development.  However, because
	the U.S. Department of Energy, has supported the development
	of SC34's standards and maintains this Web site (under contract
	DE-AC05-84OR21400), it makes the following assertion:

	The U.S. Government retains a paid-up, non-exclusive, irrevocable,
	world-wide license to publish or reproduce the published form of
	these documents, prepare derivative works, distribute copies to
	the public, and perform publicly and display publicly, or to allow
	others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes.

Since I'm not a lawyer, I'll leave it for others to parse what the impact of
that is.

Having said that, though, I'll comment that the annotated XML spec (at
http://www.xml.com) was a nice compromise between the plain spec and a stand
alone book.  I also think a separate index to the DSSSL spec would be a good
thing (and, IMH (and non-lawyerly) O such an index would be a separate work
of scholarship, just
as a Biblical concordance is not the same as a Bible).