Re: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: Re: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Horst Kucharczyk <horst@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:44:59 +0200
At 15:55 24-06-1999 +0000, Jack Fitzpatrick wrote:

>I agree with Adam.  My name's not Jane,
.CUT
>1.-5a.b
.CUT

That description corresponds for 98% with my own experience.

>Some of you might get a chuckle from this at my expense, but I suspect there
>are many others, less persistent than me, who never got past step 3, and
>that's a shame.

True.

>I think that this situation is improving due to the tireless efforts of
people like Didier and Paul.  But people like me need a little
>more hand-holding in order to be able to get "real world" work done
quickly from
>a standing start:
>
>1. We need "The DSSSL Homepage"
.CUT
>2. We need turnkey Windows software
.CUT
>3. We need a readable reference, as Adam suggests, with lots of examples
>   showing source and output. Barnes and Noble would display it right next
>   the XML books.  On the cover, it says something like, "Forget CSS, forget
>   XSL, forget DOM, just use DSSSL and be the master of your XML documents".

We need a little bit of marketing and a bit more noise :-).
Every single single collegue of mine that is interested in DSSSL tends to
shy away from it in favor of XSL and its promises. Not because it holds an
actual value for them, but because it has such a loud and commercial
community (potential).

>Hmmm, maybe there _could_ be a market for a good reference ... but DSSSL?
>Give me a break!  Even the name smacks of elitism. If ISO drops DSSSL, does
>that mean that we're free to rename it?

That doesn't seem like good idea.

Horst Kucharczyk
[optional anagram] consultant