RE: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)

Subject: RE: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:58:53 -0400
Hi Daniel,

Daniel said:
I have already informed him of my interest
and I believe Brandon has informed him of his.
I do not think that constitutes "significant interest" in Alex's eyes.
So, unless other people are interested,
SENG will remain proprietary and buried,
regardless of what I do.

It is also NOT my intention to compete with OpenJade.
I just have different applications in mind than what Jade was designed
for.
I am more interested
in online EDI and eCommerce applications of DSSSL.
In this context the following points are emphasised:
* query and tranformation facilities over formatting
* easily extensible open architecture
* access to other internet software much of which is written in Java.
* dynamic interactive content
By James Clarke's own messages, these are not the strong points of Jade.
I am also hoping that a JVM DSSSL engine would make it possible
to render documents in existing browsers (using applets, beans or
whatever ...).

Didier says:
So, why not help us with the OpenJade project instead of having competition.
I am also interested with the same topics as you. In fact, if you followed
well some thread you probably have noticed two things:

a) How can we include other languages like PERL, Python, javaScript,
VBScript, and others to style sheet. First as an OpenJade new capability
then think seriously how DSSSL-2 could include such thing (and get this item
discussed well before we write a draft).
b) How can we include Java processing to OpenJade(this is feasible with the
actual OpenJade architecture you know!).
c) Could it be make it more powerful with a good construction rule set.
(this is why you have actually the query construction rule thread).

Off course I am not talking of "Jade" here, which is now, unfortunately a
dead end, but more to its well alive successor "openJade". Actually, people
add more functionality to the actual core set (working on the next release
due soon). And believe me, this is a lot of efforts but these people are
generous enough to give some of their time for the community. I personally
believe that, if you could just help them (and me too because I do also give
time to the project), we could then have a better product. If, however, what
restrict you is C++ expertise and that you can only do some Java
development, then, its OK, people having C++ expertise like Matthias or me
could integrate a VM in OpenJade as long as new useful functionality is
brought in (in fact I already did that in two products :-).

So, why try to awake some deads that are not very inclined to come back to
life instead of helping us nurture a growing kid: OpenJade.

About your last point, (rendition with Java applet) I tried this and believe
me, this is not where java shine :-) However, Java is ok for other kind of
processing.

Have a good day Daniel and think about it, we'll be more than happy to work
with you in the OpenJade team. So tell us, what do you want to bring to the
table, what kind of functionality, let's discuss it.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com