Re: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)

Subject: Re: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)
From: Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:03:06 -0500
Carlos Villegas wrote:

> I found that the Kawa scheme interpreter (the one on top of which the
> SENG DSSSL engine was being written) has been taken by Per Bothner
> from Cygnus. Bothner rewrote the original code, extended it, but
> it looks like it kept the DSSSL stuff. This new implementation of
> Kawa byte compiles directly to java byte codes (some people were
> talking about jade loading byte codes instead of having to process
> the stylesheet everytime). It looks like the internals are well
> documented
> (as oppose to jade's). So if somebody wants to implement a DSSSL engine
> in java, this is worth looking at. (Or better if somebody can
> rescue SENG). Take a look at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/kawa.

There is a reasonable chance that Alex Milowski will revive SENG
and make it OpenSource. The main precondition for this is that there is
*significant* interest. (see my message to the "Re: html to dsssl"
thread.
As far as I know. now there is only you [I presume], Brandon Ibach and
I,
which probably does not cut it)

At the moment I am looking into integrating Kawa with page compilers or
similar tools.
PolyJSP <http://www.plenix.org/polyjsp/> is an extensible free
implementation of JSP
which allows omultiple scripting languages to be used in html templates.
I am considering writing a Kawa-PolyJSP interface.
This should prove useful if SENG is revived.
It may also help persuade Alex to revive it.
Even if SENG is not revived it could still be used by loading
one of the upcoming Scheme implementations of DSSSL (like Grover) into
Kawa.

Another potential use of an open JVM based DSSSL engine
is to develop a backend for rendering in applets
like in the Swift
<http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/5445/swift.html>
WWW equation viewer.

Daniel