RE: About Constructions rules

Subject: RE: About Constructions rules
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:50:22 +0300
On Friday, July 16, 1999 01:28, Brandon Ibach [SMTP:bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
wrote:

> > 5. When a node's turn to be processed comes, if it is in the node-list
> > returned by the q-c-r, the corresponding sosofo is inserted.
> >
>    The key here is "if it is in the node-list".  In the case of your
> average DSSSL application, every node in the grove, with the possible
> exception of some attribute-assignments and such, will be processed,
> one way or another.  Therefore, because query rules are almost always
> the first to be considered when choosing a rule to process a node,
> almost every single node in the entire grove will have to be
> considered for processing by the query rule, meaning that we'll have
> to check, for almost every single node, to see whether it's in the
> node-list.  I think the point being made here is that this has the
> potential to be an efficiency problem.
>    So, can we acknowledge the *possible* efficiency problem, even if,
> as Matthias and I have suggested, there may be some relatively easy
> solutions?

I'll concede that using q-c-r's can effectively force the implementation to
parse the entire document before emitting any output, but I see *no*
efficiency problem. Checking whether a node is in a node-list is O(1) using
any but the most trivial implementation techniques.

---
"The only words which have meaning are the last ones spoken"