Re: Complex transformations using Jade

Subject: Re: Complex transformations using Jade
From: Paul Tyson <ptyso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 08:14:10 -0500
joseph, Gershon wrote:

> Yes, please post the stylesheet. I'll try to use it to write my own
> transformation stylesheet. If I can get it to work, I'll publish the result,
> because it's a semi-generic RTF to DocBook transformation, which I'm sure
> many people will find useful.
>
> Brandon Ibach [mailto:bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>
> Quoting joseph, Gershon <Gershon_joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Has anyone done complex SGML transformations using Jade? I spent a day
> > investigating using Jade to transform a flat RTF-like instance to a
> DocBook
> > like instance. The problem is that, while source instance has all elements
> > at the same level (para), the target must have elements inside elements,
> > e.g., title and para inside section. I have started to write this
> > transformation in Omnimark, but would prefer a standards-based solution if
> > it is possible.
> >
> > Is the transformation side of DSSSL, for which there is not yet an engine,
> > capable of this type of transformation, or is it like XSLT, meant for
> > preparing an instance for formatting, and not full-bore complex
> > transformations?
> >
>   [reply from Brandon, cut]

I recently completed a fairly large style-sheet to do exactly this type
of transformation--from a relatively flat structure (with mixed content,
even) to a more hierarchical structure.  After 3 or 4 rewrites I hit
upon some techniques that seem to work pretty well and might be
applicable to similar transformations.

I haven't documented it at all, but if you're in need of further
examples I could put something together and make it available.

Good luck,
Paul Tyson