SGML and LISP in DSSSL (was: RE: emitting comments)

Subject: SGML and LISP in DSSSL (was: RE: emitting comments)
From: "Mason, James David (MXM) " <MXM@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:55:40 -0400
DSSSL was developed first and primarily as an SGML application. LISP/Scheme
came in as an afterthought only.

DSSSL was developed by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8 (which is now ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC34); the charter of the group is  mainly to do work related to SGML.
The DSSSL project goes back to the mid-80s. In those pre-Web, paper-based
days, the drive was on to find a way of describing (in an SGML-based syntax)
how to process (meaning primarily how to apply typography) SGML documents.
The cumbersome name of the standard (and some of the cumbersomeness of its
expression) are unfortunate results of the political climate that surrounded
WG8 throughout the late 80s and early 90s. That climate is gone, but it cost
us years in completing our projects. (We might have done something that
would have forestalled the need to do XML, etc., in the W3C if we hadn't had
to fight an opposition that was politically entrenched but produced no
long-lasting technical results.)

There had been an earlier attempt at an expression language for DSSSL that
had reached a statlemate. One might say that James brought in Scheme as a
way of getting the project moving to completion.

If the DSSSL community wants to revise DSSSL and wants to keep it as an ISO
standard, the work will still have to be done in SC34 and addressed to a
community that thinks SGML.

Jim Mason
SC34 Chairman