Re: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs

Subject: Re: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs
From: Kai.Grossjohann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Kai Großjohann)
Date: 12 Aug 1999 19:25:12 +0200
Didier PH Martin <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am presenting OpenJade to the XML dev community next week in Montreal,
> what you stated in your message is very very interesting as a good demo of
> actual OpenJade capabilities.
>
> Is the document very proprietary? Would you be ready to just provide us with
> a sample, I am ready to sign a paper saying we won't make copies and just
> use it as a demonstration in this presentation. This would make a great
> example.

Hm?  I can surely provide with many documents -- they are all
accessible on our Web server anyway.

Below, you can find:

  - A DTD which wants to be XML compliant but isn't.
  - A sample document, containing both German and English.
  - German and English HTML output (generated with our proprietary
    tool)

The idea is: if we produce German, we output all <langflow
xml:lang="de"> elements as well as the <langflow> elements (which
don't specify a language) and we ignore the <langflow xml:lang="en">
elements.  Similar for langtext elements.  English output is produced
in a similar way.

The proprietary tool accepts the language on the command line.  Please
note that we use neither DSSSL nor XSLT at the moment to transform XML
into HTML -- I'm currently investigating both to present the choices
to the powers that be...

Please tell me what you do with these documents.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

<!ENTITY % html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">
%html;

<!ELEMENT project                       - - (projecttitle,
                                             shortdesc,
                                             logo*,
                                             referenceno?,
                                             fieldofoperation,
                                             timeperiod?,
                                             contactpersons,
                                             involvedpersons?,
                                             sponsoredby?,
                                             participatinginstitutes?,
                                             description,
                                             publicationlist?,
                                             notes?,
                                             doccreator) >
<!ATTLIST project xml:lang             (en|de) #IMPLIED >

<!ELEMENT projecttitle                  - - (langtext+) >
<!ELEMENT shortdesc                     - - (langtext+) >
<!ELEMENT logo                          - - (#PCDATA) > <!-- image file name -->
<!ELEMENT referenceno                   - - (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT fieldofoperation              - - (langtext+) >
<!ELEMENT sponsoredby                   - - (sponsor+) >
<!ELEMENT sponsor                       - - (langtext+ | weblink) >
<!ELEMENT timeperiod                    - - (langtext+ |
                                             (startdate, enddate)) >
<!ELEMENT (startdate | enddate)         - - (day,
                                             month,
                                             year) >
<!ELEMENT day                           - - (#PCDATA) > <!-- two digit format -->
<!ELEMENT month                         - - (#PCDATA) > <!-- two digit format -->
<!ELEMENT year                          - - (#PCDATA) > <!-- four digit format -->
<!ELEMENT contactpersons                - - (personnel+) >
<!ELEMENT involvedpersons               - - (personnel+) >
<!ELEMENT personnel                     - - (langtext+ | searchpersonnel) >
<!ELEMENT participatinginstitutes       - - (institute+) >
<!ELEMENT institute                     - - (langtext+ | weblink) >
<!ELEMENT description                   - - (langflow+) >
<!ELEMENT publicationlist               - - (publication+) >
<!ELEMENT publication                   - - (langtext+) >
<!ELEMENT notes                         - - (langflow+) >
<!ELEMENT doccreator                    - - EMPTY>

<!ELEMENT searchpersonnel               - - (searchpersname, linkdescription) >
<!ELEMENT searchpersname                - - (#PCDATA) > <!-- lastname, used to search in oracle personnel database -->
<!ELEMENT search                        - - (#PCDATA | searchlink) >
<!ELEMENT searchlink                    - - (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT weblink                       - - (url, linkdescription, langtext+) >
<!ELEMENT url                           - - (#PCDATA) >
<!ELEMENT linkdescription               - - (langtext+) >

<!-- use %text for HTML 3.2, use %inline for HTML 4.0 -->
<!ELEMENT langtext                      - - (%inline) >
<!ATTLIST langtext xml:lang             (en|de) #IMPLIED >

<!-- use %flow for HTML 3.2, use %flow+ for HTML 4.0 -->
<!ELEMENT langflow                      - - (%flow)+ >
<!ATTLIST langflow xml:lang             (en|de) #IMPLIED >
<!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
Local variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-omittag:nil
sgml-shorttag:nil
End:
-->
<!DOCTYPE project SYSTEM "project.dtd">
<project>
  <projecttitle>
    <langtext>MeDoc</langtext>
  </projecttitle>
  <shortdesc>
    <langtext>Entwicklung und Erprobung offener volltext-basierter
    Informationsdienste für die Informatik</langtext>
  </shortdesc>
  <logo>http://medoc.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/images/medoclogo.gif</logo>
  <fieldofoperation>
    <langtext>Information Retrieval</langtext>
  </fieldofoperation>
  <timeperiod>
    <startdate>
      <day>01</day>
      <month>09</month>
      <year>1995</year>
    </startdate>
    <enddate>
      <day>31</day>
      <month>12</month>
      <year>1997</year>
    </enddate>
  </timeperiod>
  <contactpersons>
    <personnel>
      <searchpersonnel>
        <searchpersname>Gro_johann</searchpersname>
        <linkdescription>
          <langtext>Kai Großjohann</langtext>
        </linkdescription>
      </searchpersonnel>
    </personnel>
  </contactpersons>
  <sponsoredby>
    <sponsor>
      <langtext xml:lang="de">
        Bundesministeriums für Bildung, Forschung, Wissenschaft und
        Technologie (BMBF)
      </langtext>
      <langtext xml:lang="en">
        Ministery for Education, Research, Science and Technology
        (BMBF), German Government
      </langtext>
    </sponsor>
  </sponsoredby>
  <participatinginstitutes>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Freie Universität Berlin</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Universität Bonn</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Universität Dortmund</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>FernUniversität Hagen</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Technische Universität München</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>OFFIS Oldenburg</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Fachinformationszentrum Karlsruhe</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext>Springer Verlag</langtext>
    </institute>
    <institute>
      <langtext xml:lang="de">20 Pilotanwender</langtext>
      <langtext xml:lang="en">20 Pilot user institutions</langtext>
    </institute>
  </participatinginstitutes>
  <description>
    <langflow xml:lang="de">
      <P>
        Das MeDoc-Projekt setzt sich zum Ziel, Informationsaustausch
        und Literaturversorgung in der Wissenschaft effizienter und
        effektiver zu machen.  Das wird im Zuge der Globalisierung der
        Forschung von den Wissenschaftlern aller Disziplinen mit
        Nachdruck gefordert.
      </P>
      <P>
        Um dieses Ziel zu erreichen, setzt das MeDoc-Projekt drei
        Schwerpunkte:
      </P>
      <UL>
        <LI>
          Der Übergang vom gedruckten zum elektronischen Medium bei
          Büchern und vor allem bei wissenschaftlichen Zeitschriften
          soll stimuliert werden. Dadurch wird der Zugriff auf
          Primärinformation vom Arbeitsplatz über Datennetze möglich.
        </LI>
        <LI>
          Effektive Nachweis- und Lieferdienste sollen aufgebaut,
          Zugriffs- und Nutzungsstrukturen für urheberrechtlich
          geschützte und teilweise kostenpflichtige
          Informationsbestände verbessert werden.
        </LI>
        <LI>
          Eine einheitliche Benutzeroberfläche soll die Recherche in
          verteilten und heterogenen Informationsbeständen
          erleichtern.
        </LI>
      </UL>
      <P>
        Diese Ziele sollen durch den Aufbau des MeDoc-Dienstes
        erreicht werden, eines verteilten Informationsdienstes, über
        den Informatik-Literatur im Internet in Volltext strukturiert
        angeboten, langfristig vorgehalten, recherchiert, beschafft,
        annotiert und wissenschaftlich bewertet werden kann.
      </P>
    </langflow>
    <langflow xml:lang="en">
      <P>
        The goal of the MeDoc project is to improve information
        exchange among scientists and the supply of the researchers
        with relevant information.  Hand in hand with the
        globalization of science, this is being demanded strongly by
        scientists of all subjects.</P>
      <P>
        To achieve this aim, the Medoc Project comprises three areas
        of work:
      </P>
      <UL>
        <LI>
          To stimulate the transition from the print media to
          electronic media with respect to books and also especially
          scientific journals.  Thus, researchers can access the
          information they need from their desktops, via data
          networks.
        </LI>
        <LI>
          To build effective bibliographic databases and delivery
          services, to improve access and usage structures for
          information protected under intellecutal property rights and
          partly obtainable for a fee only.
        </LI>
        <LI>
          A unified user interface shall make it easier to search
          distributed and heterogeneous information providers.
        </LI>
      </UL>
      <P>
        These goals shall be achieved through building the so-called
        <EM>Medoc Service</EM>, a distributed information service for
        Computer Science literature.  The literature shall be
        available as full text, the structure of the literature shall
        be maintained, it should be searchable and archived on a
        long-term basis, and annotations and scientific reviewing
        shall be possible.
      </P>
    </langflow>
  </description>
  <notes>
    <langflow xml:lang="de"><A href="welcome.html" shape="rect">Alte
    Homepage</A></langflow>
    <langflow xml:lang="en"><A href="welcome.html" shape="rect">Old
    Homepage (in German)</A></langflow>
  </notes>
  <doccreator/>
</project>
Title: MeDoc

Zurück zu
[IR Projekte] [ISSI Projekte] [LS VI Projekte]
[I&G] [IR] [ISSI] [LS VI] [FBI] [Uni-Do]

MeDoc

Entwicklung und Erprobung offener volltext-basierter Informationsdienste für die Informatik

Arbeitsgebiet

Information Retrieval

Projekt Zeitraum

Von 01.09.1995 bis 31.12.1997

Kontaktpersonen

Gefördert von

  • Bundesministeriums für Bildung, Forschung, Wissenschaft und Technologie (BMBF)

Teilnehmende Institutionen

  • Freie Universität Berlin
  • Universität Bonn
  • Universität Dortmund
  • FernUniversität Hagen
  • Technische Universität München
  • OFFIS Oldenburg
  • Fachinformationszentrum Karlsruhe
  • Springer Verlag
  • 20 Pilotanwender

Beschreibung

[...]

Bemerkungen

Alte Homepage

Carsten Wich, 1. Dezember 1998
Title: MeDoc

Back to
[IR Projects] [IS and Security Projects] [Chair VI Projects]
[CS and Society] [IR] [IS and Security] [Chair VI] [CS Dept.] [Uni-Do] (German)

MeDoc

Entwicklung und Erprobung offener volltext-basierter Informationsdienste für die Informatik

Field of operation

Information Retrieval

Project Duration

>From 01.09.1995 until 31.12.1997

Contact persons

Sponsored by

  • Ministery for Education, Research, Science and Technology (BMBF), German Government

Participating institutes

  • Freie Universität Berlin
  • Universität Bonn
  • Universität Dortmund
  • FernUniversität Hagen
  • Technische Universität München
  • OFFIS Oldenburg
  • Fachinformationszentrum Karlsruhe
  • Springer Verlag
  • 20 Pilot user institutions

Description

[...]

These goals shall be achieved through building the so-called Medoc Service, a distributed information service for Computer Science literature. The literature shall be available as full text, the structure of the literature shall be maintained, it should be searchable and archived on a long-term basis, and annotations and scientific reviewing shall be possible.

Notes

Old Homepage (in German)

Carsten Wich, December 1, 1998