Re: About columns?

Subject: Re: About columns?
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:08:15 +0200

> When I checked the code (primitive.h), it reminded me of this missing
> features. As Tony said, the DSSSL-O version do not require an implementation
> to support this kind of feature. DSSSL-O is well documented in a Jon Bosak
> document (I have the document but do not remember where it come from -
> probably from Jon). Jade is a strange beast because the DSSSL-O feature set
> is somewhat present but incomplete (the DSSSL-0 feature set included the
> scroll object - see below for a document extract). Thus, for instance,
> the -t html backend contains the scroll object but not the table object, and
> so on. It is not all browsers that can embed a rtf or a mif rendition engine
> and thus the simple-page-sequence cannot be easily rendered except with
> Hybrick - and the list go on, and on...). So Tony reminded us that Jade was
> mainly limited to DSSSL-O objects ( a subset of the full DSSSL
> specification). I anyone wants to read the document, I'll ask Jon if he can
> post it on his new space.

I don't think that would be very useful since, as you once said, DSSSL-O
is a ghost from the past. We should probably create some tables showing
what is supported by what backend - and then work to fill the gaps.

> Toby said that he used the page-n-columns characteristic implemented in both
> the rtf and mif back ends (did you know that the mif backend also support
> this characteristic? I am testing each object characteristic by
> characteristic and yes it works for both mif and rtf - I didn't checked yet
> for Tex). Toby also said that he never needed an asymmetric columns layout.

No need to do so, Didier. I have already extracted all that information
to dsssl/extensions.dsl. It lists all supported nonstandard FOs and ICs
separately for each backend.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606