RE: Formatting_the_result

Subject: RE: Formatting_the_result
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 02:31:47 -0400
Right. Sorry, I haven't done much HTML the past while and have conveniently forgotten its many quirks.

> Oh god, not the whitespace connundrum! ... but actually, could OpenJade
> be made to distinguish between data or mixed content elements and block
> elements in outputing its linefeeds? Any element with #pcdata (and all
> its children) gets output to a single line (AFAIK, linebreaks are only
> significant as pcdata -- or am I wrong?). Of course, a DTD like HTML,
> which provides for pcdata anywhere at all, poses a problem; but then
> whitespace is never significant in HTML except in the PRE element (and
> some scripting elements), so HTML, specifically, could get newlines
> anywhere except in pre.

Not true. For example, there are differences among:

  <tag>abc</tag>,

and

  <tag>abc</tag>
  ,

and

  <tag> abc </tag>,

The mixed content problem is the single biggest issue (for me, at least)
when pretty-printing HTML.

--FAC