Re: processing RTF documents

Subject: Re: processing RTF documents
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Oct 1999 11:45:42 -0400
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Sebastian Rahtz told this:

> In my experience, the Omnimark RTF to XML route is probably the most
> powerful, but the most work to get right. So if you plan serious daily
> production work, it would be worth investing in Omnimark expertise.
> If, however, you need to do occasional Word to XML translations, want
> a quick interactive configuration, and are likely to clean up by hand,
> then Majix gets you off the ground faster.

Yay! I just got Majix working (after reinstalling Sun's JRE and MS' JVM
and some tweaking of the batch file and messages about a null.pointer in
JRE and a missing java/lang/class in JVM... ), with Majix's default
'mydoc.dtd', for starters... Fun with OpenJade transformations on the
horizon.

> I gave up on the `serious' route, because I found my Word documents
> were so poor that I could not automate the conversion. Given that, it
> was not worth the really detailed route.

Yes. In fact, I think it's because I picked a different RTF file to test
on, one with defined styles (Majix prompted for mappings), that it
managed to complete and produce an xml document. Due to the state of
most Word/RTF files I think I'll often have to resort to very "low
level" (downright goofy) techniques.:-)

Thanks again,

Ron