ANN: Japanese document toolkit

Subject: ANN: Japanese document toolkit
From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:43:06 -0400 (EDT)
... or maybe I ought to say 'kludge-kit'.

Anyway, I have finally packaged and put on the Web ... the first
version of AHO-JDPS -- A HOmemade Japanese Document Processing
System. It is a set of scripts, data files, instructions,
and examples intended to help you process Japanese SGML documents.
It is also a pun ;-)

Although Jade by itself can handle Japanese documents, output formats
are limited to SGML and RTF. I felt it was important to have TeX
output also, so that has been the main focus of my efforts.

The package includes:

      * A Python script that translates Japanese characters to
	a form that Jade's TeX backend can handle, runs Jade on
	the resulting file, then restores the Japanese text.

      * CJK-JadeTeX, a wrapper for JadeTeX that adds CJK macro
	commands and performs other little tweaks that seemed
	to be needed (you'll need the CJK macro package to use
	this).

      * Various support files for setting up Japanese TrueType
	fonts to work with the CJK macros.

      * A sample SGML document with corresponding DTD, and DSSSL
        stylesheets for HTML, TeX, and generic print-oriented
	formats. HTML, RTF, DVI, and PDF versions of the sample
	document are also provided.

Finally, I should just inject a note of caution: don't expect to get
any work done in a hurry with this. The project is in a very early
stage, has a number of bugs, and requires a lot of manual setup --
though if you already have Jade and JadeTeX working, that's a good
start. It's also a bit UNIX-oriented: supports only EUC encoding,
comes in .tar.gz format, has been tested only on Linux, etc. I
certainly intend to make it fully cross-platform eventually, but for
the time being it will probably take a little extra work to use the
stuff on Windows or MacOS.

AHO-JDPS is available for download at:

	 http://www.havenrock.com/docproc/nihongo/index.html

Happy hacking! And please let me know what you think.

Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA
mgushee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx