Re: displaying dashes

Subject: Re: displaying dashes
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 07:39:05 -0600
Quoting Bek Oberin <gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Brandon Ibach wrote:
> > Quoting Frank A. Christoph <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Yep, I just *had* to take a shot at it.  The following patch should
> > be applied in the "jade" directory of the source distribution.  It
> > was generated against 1.2.2, but I expect it should apply relatively
> > cleanly to newer versions, as well.
>
> The Jade page lists 1.2.1 as the current version, was your a typo
> or am I looking in the wrong place?

   Yes and no.  The latest version of Jade *is* 1.2.1.  However, we
now have OpenJade, which is the publicly maintained successor to Jade
(with permission from James Clark, the author of Jade, who no longer
has the time or inclination to maintain it).  The latest version of
OpenJade is 1.3, and can be found via:  http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL
   However, since posting that patch, it has been pointed out to me
that it will not work in many cases.  I believe some better code for
this exists in the not-yet-released 1.4 code, so you may want to just
wait for that, rather than messing with this patch.
   In the meantime, have you tried using a different font for your
file listings, such as a fixed-width one?  I know that, at least for
the \tt font in TeX, the dash ligatures don't exist, so you wouldn't
have this problem.

-Brandon :)