RE: support for 'macro' formatting languages

Subject: RE: support for 'macro' formatting languages
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:59:54 +0100
> I didnt take it as unfriendly, I promise
>  > The point i was trying to make was that when the (SGML) content
>  > crosses multiple lines or even pages, it is hard for formatting
>  > tools to figure out how to display it nicely.
>
> true. but if you like TeX's algorithms, get TeX to format the SGML.

Why then start off with SGML in the first place. If i'm just interested
in the formatting i might as well type directly in (La)TeX.

>  > But, for instance formula's are worse because the formula itself
>  > does not 'group' terms. This information is absent and thus hard
>  > for the formatter to do right the first time.
>
> as David says, MathML should let you explicitly say all this, and so
> NOT make TeX guess

Formula's was just an example to illustrate my point, apparently it
was not a good one.. :-)

> pretty half-hearted bodges to implement DSSSL, but that can
> change. Yes, I am being serious, not denigrated jade etc. It is early
> days for DSSSL

Yes, that's the nice aspect.

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.