Re: jadetex/tex: capacity exceeded error

Subject: Re: jadetex/tex: capacity exceeded error
From: Deborah Greenberg Lidl <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:01:14 -0600
On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 05:13:45PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz said:
> Deborah Greenberg Lidl writes:
>  > - Ran tex with the jadetex macro package:
>  > 	% tex "&/home/src/jadetex/jadetex" guide
>
> I _think_ this is the mistake. i do not think it picks up the
> *.jadetex values in the texmf.cnf, because the name is "tex". try
>
>  tex -fmt=jadetex -progname=jadetex guide

This worked.  Thank you! Thank you!  I got errors about overfull and
underfull vboxes.  The sort of stuff I would expect when I have a really
large table that I need to fix.  But I got a dvi file.

> better, link "virtex" to "jadetex" and do
>  jadetex guide
>
> (put jadetex.fmt in the web2c directory, of course)

My first attempt at this didn't work.  But I need to try all of the
steps again.  Very carefully to make sure I don't make a mistake.

> even better, get the <a href="http://www.tug.org/texlive";>TeX Live
> 5</a> CD-ROM, where it all just `works'
>  >   I suspect that something hasn't been updated to take advantage of
>  >   the new *.hugelatex and *.pdfjadetex settings.

I may indeed do that.

> you have to realize that TeX main way of grabbing values from
> texmf.cnf is on the basis of the _name by which the TeX program is
> called_, which in your case was "tex"

I knew it was something like that.  But it's been about 10 years since
I last used TeX regularly.  And I never had to mess with the config.
It just worked. :-)

Thanks again for your quick and knowledgeable assistance.  I now have
a working tool chain.  I am a happy tech writer.

Cheers,
Debbie
--
Deborah Greenberg Lidl                       Toll free: 1.888.849.BSDi
dgl@xxxxxxxx                    BSDi             Phone: 1.301.765.7945