Re: Attaching DSSSL to each element

Subject: Re: Attaching DSSSL to each element
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:45:22 -0600
Quoting Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> / Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> | Is it possible to attach DSSSL to every single element, preferably so that
> | the code can veto further processing of the element?
>
> You may not get away with a single template, but here's what I'd try
> for a start:
>
> Create a stylesheet customization layer based on the stock stylesheet
> that contains just the following:
>
> (default
>   (if (whatever-attribute-test-determines-you-should-print-this-element)
>     (next-match)))
>
> I *think* that will work. If it doesn't, I'll be curious to hear why :-)

   On the theory side, this may not work completely, as the standard
states that a rule in a mode is always more specific than one that
isn't, so stuff like title page elements would slip past this rule.
Not sure how to work around this, save to hunt down all mode-based
processing and try to filter out the nodes before the mode gets
applied.  Otherwise, is it possible to specify additional rules for a
mode in a separate part of a stylesheet (ie, the customization layer)?

-Brandon :)