Re: (dsssl) Reacting to page breaks inside a paragraph

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Reacting to page breaks inside a paragraph
From: jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:29:58 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, John R. Sheets wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm putting together a simple DTD and stylesheets for screenwriting,
> .../...
> However, if a page break splits the dialogue, I need to be able to
> insert the name again as a header on the following page:
>
>                 JOE
>     As I was saying, the best way
>     to strip the bark off without
>     breaking it into uneven pieces
> -----PAGE BREAK-----
>             JOE (cont'd)
>     is to first separate it from the
>     wood by smacking it with a

A (quite simple and not very smart) method would be to build a table for
each <dialogue> and use the <name> as header. Something like:

  (element dialogue
    (make table table-border: #f
      (make table-part content-map: '((name header)
                                      (speech #f))
    table-part-omit-middle-header?: #f))) ;; to repeat header on each page

  (element name
    (make sequence label: 'thead
      (your processing)))

  (element speech
    (make sequence label: 'tbody
      (your processing)))

Look at (in the dsssl spec):
2.6.27.2. Table-part Flow Object Class
A table-part flow object is allowed only within a table flow object.
A table-part flow object has three ports:
  the principal port, which is used for the table body.
  header, which is used for the table header.
  footer, which is used for the table footer.
.../...
  The following characteristics are applicable:
    table-part-omit-middle-header?:  is a boolean which if true
    specifies that a table-part whose first area is not at the
    beginning of an area produced by the table shall not start with
    the content of its header port.  The initial value is #f.

HIH. Jany

     Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
           and do not necessarily represent those of IBM.