(dsssl) Hypothetical question on namespaces

Subject: (dsssl) Hypothetical question on namespaces
From: Trent Shipley <tcshipley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:05:20 -0700
I briefly considered using TEIL for the body of my paper and DocBook for the
bibliography.

However, I discarded that for two reasons:
1) DocBook wasn't so much closer to the ad-hoc SGML form the bibliography
currently has.

2) Dealing with the name-space problem could be a nightmare.

===========

I'm a couple hundred pages into the DSSSL document and have looked briefly at
Goldfarb's annotation of the SGML standard.   Neither seems to have any real
concept of name-space although SGML does have a weird provision for
concurrency.

As near as I can tell the difference between name-spaces and concurency is
that namespaces are mutually independent while concurent lexical sets can
actually share lexical elements [namespaces never *really* share lexical
elements, despite the existence of homonyms.]  This implies that a document
with concurrent SGML sets will be parsed into multiple groves that can
intersect at certain nodes.  On the other hand, if the concurrency is in the
form of multiple namespaces the document grove must relatively well formed.
The lexical set of the document consists of the union of non-intersecting
lexical sets; therefore, none of the resulting sub-groves will intersect.

Now namespaces are an integral part of XML practice.

nsgmls claims to deal with XML; therefore, it must cope with namespaces.
OpenJade says it can't do concurrency, but it too must be able to cope with
XML namespaces.

     How do they do this?