Re: (dsssl) Practical Bibliography question

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Practical Bibliography question
From: "M. Wroth" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:48:04 -0700
At 11:22 PM 10/13/01 -0500, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
Trent Shipley writes:
> Furthermore, it should be cognizant of existing practices and standards in
> library science and records management. You would want to look at several
> XML (and SGML) projects including DocBook and TEI, but also Dublin Core (a
> project by and for Librarians) and the activities of the Semantic Web working
> group (that in part build on the Dublin Core). In additon, you would want to
> familiarize yourself with older document representation and storage formats
> like MARC.

[....]

There is a project to create an SGML or XML DTD capturing MARC records that might be a potential starting place. It would have several advantages, including some support from the Library of Congress and compatibility with MARC itself.

On the flip side, MARC is powerful, flexible, and portable -- but you may notice that I did *not* say user friendly :-)

Mark B. Wroth <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>