Re: (dsssl) The future of DSSSL

Subject: Re: (dsssl) The future of DSSSL
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 15:18:00 +0100
At 01/11/02 10:26 -0600, Brandon Ibach wrote:
Greetings, DSSSLers...
   Some time ago, we (the DSSSL community) received an offer from
Javier Farreres.  He proposed to have some of his university students
do development work on OpenJade.  I (and others) feel it would be a
terrible waste to pass up this opportunity to advance the state of
DSSSL implementation, but the question is, what would be the most
useful parts of DSSSL to have, that we don't have now?  How can we
best take advantage of this offer?

This is an admirable effort to establish priorities for furthering the implementation of OpenJade.

   [On a personal note, Javier, I hope the window of opportunity is
still open, and I hope that we can still work together to take
advantage of the resources you have offered.]
   If you, like me, care about the future of DSSSL, would like to see
it live on, would like to see the tools get better, and maybe even
have some ideas about what you'd like to see happen with DSSSL, we
should talk. :)
   To that end, I'd like to propose an "Open Forum on the Future of
DSSSL".

But now you have switched gears to talk about DSSSL and not about OpenJade.

   I have a lot of ideas about what I'd like to see happen with DSSSL
in the future, and I know that others do, as well.  Let's collect the
thoughts of the DSSSL community toward the goal of advancing the state
of this wonderful technology. :)

The appropriate forum to talk about the future of an ISO standard is through the ISO itself by participating in your country's representative committee to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34. Canadians interested in doing so are welcome to contact me as I am the chairman of Canada's representative committee. Presently, Japanese representatives have been most active on the maintenance and progression of the DSSSL standard, having already released an amendment. There is a commercial implementation of complex page geometry for DSSSL from Next Solution http://www.NextSolution.co.jp in Japan, and I know their engineer who is active with standards issues.

As for the future of OpenJade, it will certainly be interesting to hear the results of your discussion.

-- G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/d/ Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0 +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995) Web site: XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, training, products. Book: Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath ISBN 1-894049-06-3 Article: What is XSLT? http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/08/holman/index.html Next public training (instructor-live, Internet-live, and web-based): - 2001-11-01,11-02,11-05,11-19,11-21,12-03,12-05,12-09,12-10,12-19