Re: (dsssl) Re: The Future of DSSSL

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Re: The Future of DSSSL
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:12:20 +0000
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:31:50PM +0000, Ian Castle wrote:

> However, in terms of implementation, the things that I am most
> interested in would be support for the DSSSL page model on the input
> side, and, on the output side, a PDF/PS backend (carefully skirting
> round the role of TeX, jadetex etc)...

I'd like a PDF direct backend too (might make me consider
using DSSSL!), but there has to be a paragaph and page formatter *somewhere*.
the XSL FO people have had to write their own from scratch, and they
are not yet as good as the older ones like TeX (imho)

> indeed be very good. The point being that for realworld use openjade is
> quite "finished" so there isn't, from my perspective, too much that
> needs to be done.
so far as I can tell, there are a lot of people out there
who use Docbook and Norm's stylesheets as a block box. Since
the existing toolset renders that combination plausibly, they
simply dont realize what they are missing :-}