Re: (dsssl) <funcsynopsis> rework -- tex

Subject: Re: (dsssl) <funcsynopsis> rework -- tex
From: Hartmut Holzgraefe <hartmut@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:11:01 +0100
Curtis Michael Brune wrote:

I spent some time reworking the output of <funcsynopsis> (useful if you are writing documentation for C language prototypes) for the TEX(pdf) backend -- the original definitions are found in .../print/dbsynop.dsl in Norman Walsh's stylesheets. I just wasn't happy with the default.... My hack uses (make table) so long function signatures come out looking OK.

you might want to have a look at the customisations we did for the PHP manual (although i can't recomend my coding style, this stuff was created over a year ago and by that time all my lisp knowledge had faded and what i did was almost pure try&error ;)

our customisations for <funcsynopsis> are in

http://cvs.php.net/co.php/phpdoc/dsssl/html-common.dsl?r=1.1

our main goal was to render optional arguments like this:

type foo( type arg1 [, type arg2 [, type arg3]]])

instead of

type foo( type arg1, type [arg2], type [arg3])

btw., we are just about to migrate from docbook3 to 4,
and we will convert our code to use <methodsynopsis>
instead of <funcsynopsis> as the way we used <optional>
in <paramdef> doesn't work anymore and the choice
attribute is easier to deal with than the additional
tag ...

-- Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut@xxxxxx http://www.six.de +49-711-99091-77