Re: (dsssl) Doubt

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Doubt
From: Trent Shipley <tcshipley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:54:57 -0700
Janny is assuming that the insertion of blank pages is rule driven instead of
definition driven.

Rule:

(Every chapter must start on an odd numbered page.)

IF this Page is the end of a chapter AND this page number is odd THEN insert
a blank page here.  (Obviously the blank page is even numbered.)

Definintion:

<yada>
blah blah blah.

<yada>
blah blah blah &yada-entitiy; and blah blah

<put_blank_page_here/>

In DSSSL Definition turns into a trival Rule.

Wherever there is <put_blank_page_here/> output one page that is blank.

It sound like what you want is a rule in DSSSL that amount to:

Whenever the content of a <para> element is NILL or Empty then add a blank
page to the output.

During my very brief foray into DSSSL Open-Jade gave me fits whenever I had
to play with character content (that is, leaf nodes on the grove
representation of the document, that is to say, characters.)  The reason
seems to be that that part of the DSSSL model is not well implemented in OJ
--except as part of the set of primatives defined is the DSSSL standard.