Re: (dsssl) Comparing style sheet languages

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Comparing style sheet languages
From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:51:38 +0200
Also sprach Jany Quintard:

 > For the rest, I agree. Too much colors and not very easy to read.

Noted. It's work in progress. I'll try to find better ways of
presenting it, but I'll leave it as a table for now.

 > And such an etud should maybe introduce some notions, such as
 > transformation, styling and so on, because IMHO, dsssl, XSL and CSS
 > don't play on the same ground.

True, their approach is different. But all of them can be used to
perform simple tasks. There are plenty of descriptions in prose on how
the style sheet languages differ, but I've seen no bottom-up
comparison on how they solve common problems.

 > Or maybe are you only interested in styling, Håkon?

I'm taking a different, more practical approach. Instead of
classifying language as style or transformation (which many people
have (usefully) done before me), the study is looking for solutions to
common problems. It's up to the language if it uses transoformation
and/or style to solve the problem.

 > BTW, do you see the "å" (&aring;) as "a" with a little circle above or no?

In Norwegian, the 'å' is a separate letter with its own place in the
alphabet (the last, after 'xyzæø'). I believe this is the same for all
Scandinavian languages, although the sorting order is different in
Swedish. Just to make dinner conversations a little more interesting :-)

Cheers,

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª
howcome@xxxxxxxxx                  http://people.opera.com/howcome