(dsssl) Interest in a DSSSL/HyTime University project??

Subject: (dsssl) Interest in a DSSSL/HyTime University project??
From: Javier Farreres de la Morena <spanish@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:04:40 +0200
As you remember, some time ago I offered some students to work on the development
of OpenJade tool.
Work has been going on and we have done many things, more in the way of
documentation than coding, as OpenJade had a serious lack of documentation,
and it wasn't possible to introduce any code before we understood its class
design.
Now we are having serious problems with OpenJade compilation.
But, anyway, time is passing, and in some 4 or 5 months I hope to have the
first release where, at least, a simple page model will be available.
Now I find that, the students that have been working on it will finish their
work and go their way, and I was wondering if it would be possible to start
a university-based impementation/research project to be able to retain those
students, paying them for their work now of course.

I don't know if there are any university members in this list who could
be interested in a project of this kind, directed to the development of
DSSSL tools (concretely OpenJade), HyTime tools (no idea yet about what)
and research beyond those standards.

In my oppinion it is an area that has been overlooked for long and there
is a lot of work to be done here. Not in the way of creating any standard,
this is a work to be done by ISO members and such. just research and implementation
of tools for those standards.

I live in spain, and I suppose it would be a lot easier for european community
based universities to join rather than from other parts of the world, and
in order to ask for european community financement.

>From my part, I have some publishing companies I work with that could show
the industrial interest of such project by joining (depending on what cost
does "join" mean for them).

Next Extreme meeting in Canada I am giving a presentation on the development
of Openjade up to the moment. Unluckily no demonstration will be given as
this 2 months stop due to compilation problems of untested CVS code and
conflicts of configuration tools has been a serious drawback. But I hopw
I can convince someone that OpenJade development is again working, and DSSSL
is again alive.

Well, I wait for replies.

Javi

¡¡¡ Tarifa Plana Premium Nº1 del mercado !!!
Inicia by Tiscali, el líder europeo de acceso a Internet
te ofrece el ACCESO MEJOR VALORADO por Computer Hoy
SEGURIDAD y VELOCIDAD en tu conexión
por sólo 17, 99 ? / 2.994 ptas. mes (+IVA)
¡ Descúbrela AHORA ! http://alta.tiscali.es/ahorainicia.jsp