(dsssl) background colors w/ TEX backend

Subject: (dsssl) background colors w/ TEX backend
From: Curtis Michael Brune <curt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:30:53 -0700
Hello,

I'm trying to make <programlisting> areas have a background color in
the TEX(PDF) backend.

I copied the originial stylesheet for (element programlisting) and
wrapped it in a (make box) with the background-color characteristic
set to the color I want.  This is working OK, but has a few problems.

The big problem is that a box will not split across pages -- i read in
the archives that this is a known "feature" of the tex backend and is
not likely to change.  For a twenty line <programlisting> it would be
really nice if it split across a page boundary, otherwise you get a
big white gap on the page preceding the listing.

Instead of wrapping the (element programlisting) in a (make box) I
also tried putting it in a table of one cell, which also has a
background-color characteristic.  I know tables span pages correctly
so this should work.

The problem with the table-cell method is the result of the verbatim
text from the <programlisting> does not have any line-breaks...  For a
multi-line <programlisting> it shows up as a long single line that
runs off the right margin.  It does have the correct background color,
however.

Is there any known issues about <programlisting> appearing inside of a
table-cell ?

Is there any other way to create <programlisting> with a background
color?

Cheers,
Curt

--