(dsssl) Data content

Subject: (dsssl) Data content
From: "Javier Farreres de la Morena" <spanish@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:33:09 +0200
>From: tmcd@xxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: (dsssl) Loop and Data content
>
>No, I actually didn't know about the (data ...) function.  Or, rather,
>I'd seen it, but the DSSSL standard just said "Returns a string
>containing the concatenation of the data of each member of nl.".  It
>doesn't define what it means by "data" -- I presume it is a formal XML
>term defined in the XML or SGML specifications or something -- so I
>didn't know what "data" it was.  Many thanks, Holger and Javi!

Well, in fact the standard sais what data is. But it explains it in some
other place. It is the problem with standards. They are not learners texts.
And also, this problem you are referring is more a groves model problem
than that of programming language. Unluckily groves have been so poorly
covered up to now that few people understand them.

The thing is that some nodes have what is called content. There are two
kinds of content. Children and data. A node can have either children or
data, but not both. Using the data procedure, you can obtain the data of
any node in the grove. It will return the data of all its content appended
in a string. You will loose information about the place where the data took
place, though.

>Since I plan to use the data in string comparisons, I think I *do*
>want "entityrefs expanded", if Holger Klawitter meant that it will
>turn ä and ä into a real a-with-umlaut (in the ä case,
>using the entity definitions provided).

Well, I don't know what you look for concretely. I am just explaining in
a general way.

>Holger wrote:
>> tmcd wrote:
>> >    <ltt-name></ltt-name>
>> >from
>> >    <ltt-name>A name goes here</ltt-name>
>>
>> In the first case, the grove element will not have content. In the
>> other case it will have content in form of data-char nodes, one for
>> each letter.
>
>By "content", you mean "children" in the sense of "(children nl)"?
>But I presume that (data ...) applied to the first would be equal to
>"", so I can use that instead.

Children are one type of content, as I previously explained. But not the
only one. Children is content in form of nodes. But you could have content
in form of string, and that is not forming a child, it is data.
I hope this fast explanation is clear.

Javi

Nueva Tiscali ADSL libre www.tiscali.es/libre
¡¡¡ POR SÓLO 16,95 euros al mes !!!
+ tiempo de conexión (0,024 ./min.)
Y cuota máxima garantizada de 39,95 ./mes
AHORA ALTA GRATIS
¡¡¡ Por fin pagas por lo que consumes !!!