Re: [dssslist] Re: Markup Technology Position

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Re: Markup Technology Position
From: Norman Gray <norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:16:04 +0100
On 2005 Jun 22 , at 16.10, Maltby, David G wrote:

Let me say that I have a warm place in my
heart for DSSSL/Scheme. I knew little about functional programming in
1999 when started with DSSSL, but I know now that I am better at writing
imperative languages for the effort of learning Scheme.

Ditto.

I personally
enjoy writing Scheme over XSLT. In terms of syntax it just flows out of
my brain faster. Even with the lot's infuriating silly parenthesis, I
can use a text editor for Scheme

Ah, my favourite hobbyhorse.

I cannot get on with the XML syntax for XSLT, and find it hugely obstructive. I went as far as to develop an alternative lisp-like syntax, and a parser which could turn it into a SAX stream ready for plugging into your favourite transformer. I think it's great, but when I announced it on xml-dev a while ago[1] it took off and soared on its thermals in much the same way a brick does. Oh well...

All the best,

Norman

[1] <http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200404/msg00659.html>. There were interactions with `Compact Syntax Study' and `Readable syntaxes' threads there at the same time.

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Norman Gray : Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/ : www.starlink.ac.uk