[jats-list] Announcing the JATSPAN web site, the JATSPack packaging format, and the core JATS bundle!

Subject: [jats-list] Announcing the JATSPAN web site, the JATSPack packaging format, and the core JATS bundle!
From: "Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]" <maloneyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:38:48 -0400
Hello,

I'd like to announce the launch of the jatspan.org website, which I hope will
be of some benefit to the JATS community.

*** Please note that this site and associated resources are just a personal
hobby of mine, and are not officially connected in any way with the NLM or
with the NISO JATS standardization effort.

JATSPAN stands for the "JATSPack Archive Network", and is a web site for
discovering, uploading, and sharing JATSPacks.

JATSPack is a packaging format that provides a well-defined way of packaging
customizations and libraries associated with any of the JATS schema.
JATSPacks are like plug-ins, which can be easily integrated into XML
processing systems to provide customizations and enhancements.  As plug-ins,
they can be easily shared among disparate users.

The core JATS Bundle is a Zip file that you can download from the Sourceforge
project page:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/jatspan/.  It is a repackaging
all of the released versions of NLM and NISO JATS DTDs, including early
versions.  It is described in detail on the site, on the "JATS Bundle" page
(http://jatspan.org/jats-bundle.html).

These are all explained in a paper that I presented at Balisage, "JATSPack and
JATSPAN, a packaging format and infrastructure for the NLM/NISO Journal
Archiving Tag Suite (JATS)."  You can find the latest version of this paper
here on the jatspan site:
http://jatspan.org/docs/Balisage2011Paper/JATSPackPaper.html.

My hope is that this infrastructure will help:

* Make it much easier to install of the complete set of all JATS schemas;
* Facilitate making systems that can use many different schema types easily,
flexibly, and unambiguously;
* Ease the management and interchange of schema customizations;
* Ease the management and interchange of the code libraries (such as XSLT,
XQuery, and XProc) that go along with customizations;
* In turn, allow for easier interchange of document instances, that might
conform to different schema customizations.

The site is in a very preliminary stage at this point.  Right now it just
provides information, links, and the core JATS Bundle.  I hope that very soon
it will be more dynamic, and that there will be more sample JATSPacks to
download and play with.

If you are interested, and would like to learn more, or to get involved,
please follow one of the recommended ways of connecting, as spelled out on the
"Contacts / Get Involved" page (http://jatspan.org/get-involved.html).

Cheers, and hope to see you at JATS-Con!

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22
301-594-2842