Re: [jats-list] "Self citation" markup (NLM Archiving v3).

Subject: Re: [jats-list] "Self citation" markup (NLM Archiving v3).
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:44:52 -0400
Hi,

Sorry for the late contribution; I just returned from abroad.

I agree the question that Simon asks is an interesting one.

On 7/13/2012 9:15 AM, O'BEIRNE, Richard wrote:
And different journals will have different citation styles (which
I've always found bizarre...)

... well yes, until we reflect that citation formats have traditionally been one of several places where publishers and disciplines (sometimes in contention with one another) have asserted their own distinctive identities, optimizing them to their own notions of functional requirements or "merely" aesthetics. ("Merely" since aesthetics is sometimes the most important thing.) For all kinds of reasons, bad and good, they persist in feeling they need to do this.

Add to this the way that citations in the wild are only mostly regular, and so formalizing them completely is always harder than it looks, and one's hopes for a truly robust and comprehensive interchangeable citation format begin to recede somewhat.

, so displaying a hard-coded citation
won't always solve the problem.

I may be misreading what Richard is getting at here, but as I understand what Simon has said, I think a hard-coded citation may be the most robust solution in his case and indeed the only real solution. Essentially, only some of the information in the self-citations he is getting is duplicative. The information (the "branding") conveyed by a journal's own idiosyncratic citation format is irreducible, as long as they insist on it.

Looking at the Tag Library for Blue v3, I see that 'mixed-citation' is allowed inside 'license-p'. Would putting the whole self-citation inside 'permissions' (maybe inside a license with license-type='self-citation') be too much of a stretch here? The Tag Library does say that 'license' can be "other license-related information or restrictions".

Cheers,
Wendell