[jats-list] Index terms

Subject: [jats-list] Index terms
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex" <gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:58:11 +0200
Looking at the book 3.0 tag set [1], I didnt see any vocabulary for encoding inline index terms ` la DocBook [2] or TEI [3].

I hoped to see these concepts in JATS 1.0 but it doesnt seem to cover book peculiarities at all.

So there are essentially three questions for which I hope knowledgeable list members may provide answers:

 What is the future path for the book tag set?

 Will it include index terms proper?

 Which markup alternatives (e.g., named-content) would you recommend for the time being?

Im asking because a German publisher whom I advise is already using NLM for journal articles and theyd like to use essentially the same vocabulary for books. My current advice would be to mix in either the DocBook or the TEI vocabulary, or to go with named-content and a controlled @content-type vocabulary., In the latter approach, youd probably encode something like Anticonvulsants, Interactions (primary, secondary) as
<named-content content-type="indexterm">Anticonvulsants<named-content content-type="indexterm">Interactions</named-content></named-content>.
I dont like this approach because the named-content model is too liberal for index terms. Youd have to use Schematron (which were using anyway, so itll still be acceptable).

Thanks for your insights & suggestions.

Gerrit

[1] http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/book/tag-library/3.0/index.html
[2] http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/indexterm.singular.html
[3] http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#CONOIXgen

--
Gerrit Imsieke
Geschdftsf|hrer / Managing Director

Geschdftsf|hrer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard Vvckler