[jats-list] supplementary-material

Subject: [jats-list] supplementary-material
From: Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:46:47 +0000
I've been wondering about the best place to put
<supplementary-material> elements in JATS XML.

The PMC Tagging Guidelines[1] say:

    "Tag <supplementary-material> in a single <sec> with @sec-type
value "supplementary-material" at the end of <body>."

The JATS Tag Library[2], on the other hand, uses the element quite differently:

  "The element is used in two contexts:
    * Inside the document metadata as an alert to the existence of
supplementary material so that such material can be accessed from the
document; and
    * As part of the textual narrative flow, where it is similar to a
<fig>, in that it can be positioned as a floating or anchored object
and may take a caption."

There's also <inline-supplementary-material>[3], to "mark up text
references to supplementary material where the reference appears in
the regular flow of the text and does not have a preview image or
separate caption" - should this be used instead of <xref
ref-type="supplementary-material">?

Before I saw the PMC tagging guidelines, I'd been wondering why
publishers were putting supplementary material inside the body of the
article, when "supplementary" material is usually an addition to the
article, not part of the main article content. I was thinking of
putting the <supplementary-material> elements inside an <app-group>,
in the article <back>, which sounds like an appropriate interpretation
of "inside the document metadata". Would this be the wrong thing to
do?

Alf

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/pmcdoc/tagging-guidelines/article/tags.html#el-suppl
[2] http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.0/?elem=supplementary-material