Re: [jats-list] supplementary-material

Subject: Re: [jats-list] supplementary-material
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:00:45 -0500
I would interpret "inside the document metadata" as referring to
<article-meta>.  In any case, it would be good to make this clearer in
the specification.

bKevin

On 1/21/2013 12:46 PM, Alf Eaton wrote:
I've been wondering about the best place to put
<supplementary-material>  elements in JATS XML.

The PMC Tagging Guidelines[1] say:

     "Tag<supplementary-material>  in a single<sec>  with @sec-type
value "supplementary-material" at the end of<body>."

The JATS Tag Library[2], on the other hand, uses the element quite
differently:

"The element is used in two contexts: * Inside the document metadata as an alert to the existence of supplementary material so that such material can be accessed from the document; and * As part of the textual narrative flow, where it is similar to a <fig>, in that it can be positioned as a floating or anchored object and may take a caption." I was thinking of putting the<supplementary-material> elements inside an<app-group>, in the article<back>, which sounds like an appropriate interpretation of "inside the document metadata". Would this be the wrong thing to do?

Alf

[1]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/pmcdoc/tagging-guidelines/article/tags.html#e
l-suppl