Re: [jats-list] citation "year" with suffix

Subject: Re: [jats-list] citation "year" with suffix
From: Bruce Rosenblum <bruce@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:29:51 -0500
Kaveh,

element-citation can work well in the right circumstances. However we have consistently found that too many publishers _not_ do copy edit non-journal references carefully enough, especially those with elements that are found infrequently. The result is often situations that are very difficult to tag with element-citation such that they can re-render the original reference faithfully unless they either a) resort to tag abuse or b) they have to build extraordinary amounts of logic into the rendering environment. This is especially true for JATS users in humanities with content rather than STM content, though we've certainly some references in STM content that would have been virtually impossible to tag with element-citation and then faithfully re-rendered exactly as delivered.

If authors and copy editors only delivered simple and perfect references in all cases, the world might not need mixed-citation. But the reality of what we see everyday is otherwise.

Best regards,

Bruce