[jats-list] Journal meta: Multiple volumes

Subject: [jats-list] Journal meta: Multiple volumes
From: "Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] laura.randall@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 14:07:30 -0000
Hello, all.

I've come across a situation with a very old journal that appears to have more
than one volume. A scan of the relevant page image is available here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MQUWovAMjaVW1xQ1ZRbVZPSEk/edit?pli=1

This title periodically begins what it calls a "New Series" and the first
issue published with "New Series" (left-hand side of the image) has No. 1,
Vol. 1. It also publishes the cumulative issue number, in this case 1073. We
have an example of that (from our last back issue scanning project, actually)
and that's easily captured with

<issue content-type="publication">17</issue>

But what I don't know what to do with is the additional volume information
provided.

That volume is akin to the cumulative issue--in 1907, The Hospital was
publishing its 62nd volume, but that particular issue was the first of the New
Series.

I'm hesitant to request that the JATS-SC consider making <volume> repeatable
(in Green only, of course), but I'm not sure I see any non-custom-meta way
around this.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of volume numbering? Does anyone have any
ideas on how to capture it?

Many thanks,
Laura