Re: [jats-list] Journal meta: Multiple volumes

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Journal meta: Multiple volumes
From: "Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] laura.randall@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 16:43:03 -0000
Thanks, Mike.
Your message has actually created quite the internal conflict for me. I had
originally dismissed <volume-id> because of the way the documentation
describes handling the same situation with issue values.

After reading your message, though, I'm believing more that this really is a
volume identifier. It isn't an identifier in the typical modern-day
understanding of something like, say, a DOI, but it really is an identifier of
the volume. But since the recommended practice we have for capturing the issue
equivalent of this isn't with <issue-id>, I'm torn.

I'd like to be able to handle both pieces of information the same way but to
do that I'd need either a model change or a documentation change. The
documentation change would, of course, be easier, but I'd need to convince the
current Standing Committee that the decision made by the previous NLM DTD
Working Group needs to be revised...and I'm not even convinced myself.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Best,
Laura

Laura Randall