Re: [jats-list] Feedback on#00763 Inline index terms for JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Feedback on#00763 Inline index terms for JATS
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 19:48:16 -0000
Nikos b

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. (And what an impressive
application: I love it!)

(I am sending a copy of this to the JATS Standing Committee private list
(jats-sc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) because it seems likely that there are members of the
Standing Committee who do not read JATS-List.)

b Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I took it up as an action item to query the requester for agenda item
"#00763 Inline index terms for JATS".

> The question posed during the Jan 16 JATS Standing Committee meeting was
whether the need for a back-of-the-book type of index for journals was for
referencing back to parts *inside* an article or only pointing from the index
back to *entire* articles. Below is the answer from the original requester Jan
Driesen:

> "Thank you for discussing this and forwarding the questions to us.
> In most cases, the indexing would anchor to points or specific words at a
specific place in the article. In some cases, mainly in longer articles,
"zones" of texts are pointed to: a (part of a) paragraph, or in some cases a
set of paragraphs, which explains the "page ranges" in the index. Although
referencing a larger zone is an important feature, it is never intended to
reference a full article.
> Finding the granular place in the article where the matter is discussed is
the main objective. Finding the article itself is not the intention of the
functionality, even though I would personally find it an interesting thing to
consider for e.g. an archive or online collection."

> Best,
> Nikos Markantonatos
> Atypon
>
> --
> Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged.  If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication by someone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited.

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML