Re: [jats-list] JATS4R Authors and Affiliations draft recommendations released for public commenting

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS4R Authors and Affiliations draft recommendations released for public commenting
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:50:18 -0000
Hi Mary,

A quick comment off-list. I gave this a skim and saw:

<institution>. This element should be used to contain the name of an
institution.

I'm really wary of this recommendation because in talking with people
around the business (including Ringgold) it's not complete clear what an
"institution" is. For example, it is simply:

<institution>Harvard University</institution>

or does it include the department as in:

<institution>Department of Psychiatry, Harvard University</institution>

Or worse. Say we have just one author, and the affiliation is given as:

<institution>Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, Harvard
University</institution>

or

Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, <institution>Harvard
University</institution>

but there is no linking superscript, then it's not the nasty "departments
of" case because it's a single linkage, but it does have potentially
multiple institutions, depending on whether you mark just the university
or you mark the entry text with <institution>

So... I would remove this recommendation.

Bruce