Re: [jats-list] @xml:lang on <related-article>

Subject: Re: [jats-list] @xml:lang on <related-article>
From: "Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:56:56 -0000
Hi all,

My immediate instinct is that Laura is proposing something entirely
reasonable. But then in Mark's document I saw this sentence:

"When the language value is really an attribute of or metadata about some
external content, then xml:lang is not an appropriate choice."

which is pretty unambiguous about this situation.

I think the *intent* of what Laura wants to do is clear, and I can't think
of any other reason to have xml:lang in related-article. So I have these
questions:

* How widely understood is the W3 position on this?
* How widely followed is the W3 position on this (a very different question
from the one immediately above)?
* What should the standing committee recommend in this situation, including
possibly deprecating xml:lang in related-article?
* If the working standing committee decides we should follow W3, what would
be our recommended markup to support Laura's requirement, especially if the
related-article content has no titles (on which xml:lang could be used
within related-article), e.g. it's just a DOI?

Thoughts?

Bruce

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM Mark Donoghue m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx <
jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> I found this article helpful when considering your situation:
> https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-when-xmllang
>
> I happen to agree with the article in that the proposed use should be
> avoided -- meaning, you should avoid using xml:lang to indicate the
> language of the related article.
>
> Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
>
> -Mark
> - -- --- ----- -------- -------------
> Mark Donoghue
> IEEE
> (732) 562-6045
> m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx
>
> IEEE - Advancing Technology for Humanity
>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:39 AM Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]
> laura.randall@xxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all.
>> I have a situation where I have the English language version of an
>> article that was also published in German. I want to include a
>> related-article in the one I have that points to the German-language
>> version of the article, so I'm using <related-article>. Along with the
>> citation of the German article, I would *like* to be able to record its
>> language so I can build a link that identifies the language as part of the
>> citation (for user convenience).
>>
>> I'm wondering if I can use the xml:lang attribute on the related-article
>> element to do this.
>>
>> Now before ya'll grab your pitchforks and yell 'TAG ABUSER', hear me out.
>>
>> Definition of related-article:
>> Description of a journal article related to the content but published
>> separately. May include a link to the related article.
>>
>> Definition of xml:lang:
>> The language of the intellectual content of the element for which this is
>> an attribute.
>>
>> So the official definition of related-article says it is a description of
>> another journal article and xml:lang says it specifies the language of the
>> intellectual content of the element. "The element" in this case describes
>> the target article, so my possibly twisted (out of desperation this time)
>> take on this is that in the same way the vol and page attributes describe
>> the volume and page of the target, so, too, should the xml:lang describe
>> the target.
>>
>> I'm like 99.99% positive that the Standing Committee didn't consider this
>> use when they(we) added xml:lang everywhere, but I think this follows the
>> rules and definitions.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Thanks (and sorry),
>> Laura
> email <>)

This email message and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately reply to the sender or call
617-932-1932 and delete the message from your email system. Thank you.
Bruce D. Rosenblum
Inera Inc.
19 Flett Road, Belmont, MA 02478
phone: 617-932-1932 (office)