[jats-list] Re: @xml:lang on <related-article>

Subject: [jats-list] Re: @xml:lang on <related-article>
From: "Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] laura.randall@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:11:29 -0000
Thanks, everyone, for the thoughtful comments.

Mark, I appreciate you sending that resource and it very clearly states that
what I was going to do is absolutely the wrong thing.

To the folks who suggested I add the information about the target's language
to an element within the related-article, I agree that that is a good
solution, but only when there actually is content in the element.
Related-article can be empty and, in my case, is.

Gareth, your take that this should be a function of the delivery platform is
actually why I'm running into this problem. In PMC, it is. When we build links
between articles published in different languages, we'll pull the language
information of the target from our database and create a link that includes
the specific language information. So my trouble comes when we don't have the
target article and thus don't know what the target language is. I had
suggested to my group that we default to a generic phrase to replace the
specific language ("another language"), but a colleague pointed out that that
wasn't particularly helpful to the user.

Aaannnddd...down the rabbit hole I went.

I think Bruce brought up some good points and there are implications of JATS
having some attributes everywhere that the Standing committee didn't
necessarily anticipate. I think that in this specific case of having @xml:lang
everywhere, we (the SC) might consider adding a reference to the W3C document
to the non-normative documentation to clarify the use. But that's a suggestion
for the committee, so I'll be submitting a comment requesting this.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Laura

Laura Randall
laura.randall@xxxxxxx