Re: [jats-list] <permissions> versus <attrib> when reproducing previously published material

Subject: Re: [jats-list] <permissions> versus <attrib> when reproducing previously published material
From: "Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] laura.randall@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 14:03:23 -0000
Hi, Rhiannon.
I think that noting something has been reproduced (<attrib>) is distinctly
different from documenting that an object has a different copyright
(<permissions>) than the rest of the article. As I understand it, these are
two different kinds of statements and belong in two different elements.

The two statements are often combinedbor at least adjacentbin the
presentation, but that doesnbt mean theybre the same thing or that they
should be tagged as a single statement.

The part of the statement that documents an object is reproduced from another
source belongs in <attrib>. The copyright notice that applies to the
reproduced object belongs in <permissions>. I donbt see this as contrary to
the JATS4R recommendations, because that recommendation applies only to
copyright, not to attribution notices.

Best,
Laura
Laura Randall