[jats-list] BITS: sort-key attribute for index terms?

Subject: [jats-list] BITS: sort-key attribute for index terms?
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 20:34:03 -0000
There is a sort-key attribute in BITS 2.0, which is good. But it is permitted only on <index-entry> (entry of a rendered backmatter index, be it generated or manually edited): https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/2.0/attribute/sort-key.html

Isn't @sort-key rather pointless on <index-entry> since such a cooked index is already sorted? I think it makes (more) sense to allow @sort-key on <index-term>, so that a properly sorted index can be generated from the terms in the text.

And this is what I actually asked for, in 2014: https://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/jats-list/archives/201410/msg00001.html

After Debbie made me aware of the @sort-key attribute that had been introduced in BITS 1.0, but only on <index-entry>, I permitted it on <index-term>, too, in a BITS adaptation that we created for Hogrefe publishers. It has proven to be quite useful since then. However, we didnbt ever use @sort-key on <index-entry> (one reason is that Hogrefe rarely uses <index-entry>).

How do you handle <index-term>s that need to be sorted differently than their string value suggests?

Gerrit