Re: [jats-list] BITS: sort-key attribute for index terms?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS: sort-key attribute for index terms?
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 12:57:12 -0000
Hi Gerrit b

Thank you for reminding us of this. I will make sure it on the "to be
discussed" list for BITS!

b Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a sort-key attribute in BITS 2.0, which is good. But it is
permitted only on <index-entry> (entry of a rendered backmatter index, be it
generated or manually edited):
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/2.0/attribute/sort-key.h
tml

> Isn't @sort-key rather pointless on <index-entry> since such a cooked index
is already sorted? I think it makes (more) sense to allow @sort-key on
<index-term>, so that a properly sorted index can be generated from the terms
in the text.

> And this is what I actually asked for, in 2014:
https://www.biglist.com/lists/lists.mulberrytech.com/jats-list/archives/20141
0/msg00001.html

> After Debbie made me aware of the @sort-key attribute that had been
introduced in BITS 1.0, but only on <index-entry>, I permitted it on
<index-term>, too, in a BITS adaptation that we created for Hogrefe
publishers. It has proven to be quite useful since then. However, we didnbt
ever use @sort-key on <index-entry> (one reason is that Hogrefe rarely uses
<index-entry>).