[jats-list] Questions on your usage of the specific and general "count" elements

Subject: [jats-list] Questions on your usage of the specific and general "count" elements
From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 18:05:14 -0000
Hello JATS users,

Currently we have two ways of tracking the number (or count) of objects in
articles in JATS.

  1.  With the general <count> element and a @count-type attribute: <count
count-type=bfigb count=b3b/>
  2.  With a specific element for some objects: <fig-count count=b3b/>. We
have specific count elements for fig-count, table-count, equation-count,
ref-count, page-count, word-count.

There are advantages to each of these methods. The generic count element can
count anything b contributors, sections, number of words with more than 12
letters in them. The specific count elements are unambiguous about what they
are counting because they do not rely on a CDATA @count-type attribute to
identify what they represent.

If you have opinions  about the count elements, could you send them to me at
beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>?

Do you use them?
Do you prefer the specific or general ones and why?
What other interesting things are you counting?

Thank you
Jeff