[jats-list] [ANN] NISO’s MECA Working Group Recommendations Now Available For Public Comment

Subject: [jats-list] [ANN] NISO’s MECA Working Group Recommendations Now Available For Public Comment
From: "Randall, Laura (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] laura.randall@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 11:24:59 -0000
Hi, all.
The MECA  RP is now available for public comment! It has close tie-ins with
the JATS, so your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura
________________________
Laura Randall
laura.randall@xxxxxxx
NCBI/NLM/NIH

Begin forwarded message:

From: NISO Announce <niso-announce@xxxxxxxx<mailto:niso-announce@xxxxxxxx>>
Subject: NISObs MECA Working Group Recommendations Now Available For Public
Comment
Date: January 16, 2020 at 12:50:03 PM EST
To: Nettie Lagace <nlagace@xxxxxxxx<mailto:nlagace@xxxxxxxx>>

January 16, 2020: The NISO Manuscript Exchange Common Approach (MECA) working
group<https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/meca> today releases its draft
Recommended Practice for an open protocol for the transfer of manuscripts
within and between manuscript systems. The recommendations are available for
public comment through February 16.

Developed to address the frustration felt by authors when their manuscript is
rejected and they have to repeat the submission process, as well as to reduce
the estimated 15 million hours currently wasted each year repeating reviews,
the MECA working group recommendations will improve the process for all
stakeholders. They cover the transfer of manuscripts and/or reviews between
submission systems, between preprint and submission systems, from authoring
systems to submission systems, and from submission systems to services such as
post acceptance processing systems.

The MECA working group has developed a common vocabulary and made specific
recommendations for transmitting, identifying, and packaging the content being
transferred. Once finalized, they will be published as a NISO Recommended
Practice, freely available for implementation by the community.

Welcoming the release of the draft recommendations, working group co-chair,
Tony Alves, Director of Product Management, Aries Systems, commented, bWe
are happy to have worked with NISO to develop these guidelines which, when
implemented, will alleviate some significant pain points for researchers,
publishers, and service providers.b

The second co-chair, Stephen Laverick, Director, Green Fifteen Publishing
Consultancy, added,  bEveryone who plays a role in manuscript processing b
including those working with production systems, preprint servers, and
authoring services b is invited to comment on this draft NISO Recommended
Practice, so that we can ensure it meets the needs of our whole community.b

NISO's Associate Executive Director, Nettie Lagace, stated, "We are grateful
to Tony and Stephen for their leadership, and to everyone on the working group
for their help developing this NISO Recommended Practice, which will improve
the manuscript submission process for everyone involved. We strongly encourage
our community to share your feedback on these recommendations, so that we can
ensure they meet your requirements.b

The draft Recommended Practice is available at
https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/meca.

_____________________

About NISO

NISO, based in Baltimore, Maryland, fosters the development and maintenance of
standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and effective
interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in research and
learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries, publishers,
information aggregators, and other organizations that support learning,
research, and scholarship through the creation, organization, management, and
curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting communities of interest
and across the entire lifecycle of information standards. NISO is a
not-for-profit association accredited by the American National Standards
Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO website
(https://niso.org<https://niso.org/>).