Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 20:06:57 -0000
Hi Mark --

If you are using Green (archiving) you could use <named-content> inside
<string-name>:

<contrib contrib-type="author">
<string-name><given-names>>m</given-names> <surname>Isobe</surname>
<named-content content-type="pronouns">they/them</named-content>
</string-name></contrib>

That's a little awkward, but perhaps less so than a name-alternative that
contains only the pronouns.

-- Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our editors would like to allow authors to specify preferred pronouns in
their manuscripts. Although the initial goal is to provide this in a footnote
for just the corresponding author, I'd like to tag this in a more general way
that would allow any author to add this to their name. So far the best option
I have been able to work out is to slightly misuse the <name-alternatives>
tagging:

> <contrib contrib-type="author">
>   <name-alternatives>
>     <name>
>        <surname>Isobe</surname>
>        <given-names>M.</given-names>
>     </name>
>     <string-name specific-use="preferred-pronouns">they/them</string-name>
>   </name-alternatives>
> </contrib>
>
> Does anyone have a better suggestion for how to handle this?
>
> Best,
> Mark
>
> Mark Doyle
> American Physical Society
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
https://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street
Phone: 301/315-9631
Suite 207
Direct Line: 301/315-9634
Rockville, MD  20850
Fax: 301/315-8285
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML for Prose Documents