Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Nikos Markantonatos nikos@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:58:26 -0000
Hi all.

I feel uneasy on most suggestions made so far for the contributor pronouns issue:

1) The name-alternatives proposal implies that the pronouns are another alternative name for the contributor, which is far from being true

2) The named-content solution suggests that the pronouns are part of the contributor's actual name, which is semantically not true

3) The role solution is certainly preferable than the other two, but it is still a semantic stretch, suggesting that pronouns are a contributor role. According to the JATS documentation, role is "title or role of a contributor to a work", which is far from what pronouns are.

At Atypon we were presented with this problem from a client two months ago and we opted for encoding this as an author-comment, which is a child of contrib (like role) is repeatable, takes on @content-type attribute to designate its semantic use, takes on @xml:lang attribute to allow for multiple languages and according to the JATS documentation "the <author-comment> element can also act as an escape mechanism, to take the content of any contributor-related elements not anticipated by the Suite."

So here's another proposal for these pronouns:

<contrib contrib-type="author">
     <string-name>
        <surname>Isobe</surname>
        <given-names>M.</given-names>
     </string-name>
     <author-comment content-type="pronouns">they/them</author-comment>
</contrib>

Nikos